Monday, April 14, 2008

carl...my young friend and employee extraordinare...

One of the things about working in retail...is you get to working with people who are quite extraordinary...like Carl.

Carl is a young man who is mentally challenged...or so they say. Yes, Carl is someone who life gave many challenges...his IQ is not going to win him scholarships...his temperment sometimes can be a little off...and he is sometimes a little lazy.

But each time I come into work...and Carl is there...he comes running up to me...smiling...with arms wide open to give me a hug..."Diana...what do you want me do tonight...we work hard?...I love working with you...can I have an RMU...what you want me to do first...Diana?" And so Carl, smiling from ear to ear...grabs hold of my heart...and everyone who sees this gentle soul...knows...he has more guts...more stregnth and more civility than most...he is afterall my Carl...and with each passing day...I marvel at how he continues to try...to please...and in the end...although his life will never be "normal"...it is Carl that gives me a daily lesson in humanity...his love of life is great...his generousity of affection even greater.

So...although this job is not exactly what I would call my "calling"...I have moments when I share this little job...with Carl...and we work together...to try to make things better...or as Carl would say..."We did good tonight Diana? We work hard? We did a good job?" My response is always the same..."Yes Carl, we did good...and you were the most helpful of all...I don't know how I could have done it without you..." And in truth...I mean it.

So..if tomorrow you are at work...and you think it is a bit of a bore...think of me...and how lucky I am...I get a hug...a smile...each evening...from my friend and co-worker...Carl...now eat your heart out...haha

Well here is a view from a sister...who has a message...Jon...a spriritual teacher...



Carl...you are my spiritual teacher...unlimited in how you effect everyone...including me.

No comments: