Monday, December 10, 2007

Urantia...and other musings...

I met a man once who believed in the book of Urantia. What a strange little man he was. He actually was a friend of my boss...in a former life. He ran an ad agency, and thus, was our agent of choice...go figure.

But he gave me the book to read, and me being me obliged. And I read this huge undertaking from page to page...the story of angels...and us.

The Urantia Book, first published by Urantia Foundation in 1955, claims to have been presented by celestial beings as a revelation to our planet, Urantia. Many who have read it accept this assertion.

The writings in the Book instruct us on the genesis, history, and destiny of humanity and on our relationship with God the Father. They present a unique and compelling portrayal of the life and teachings of Jesus. They open new vistas of time and eternity to the human spirit, and offer new details of our ascending adventure in a friendly and carefully administered universe.

Where Did The Urantia Book Come From?

In the early 20th century, a physician practicing in Chicago became the head of a group known as the Contact Commission. This small group was the focal point for the production of, and the primary custodian for, the final text of The Urantia Book. They were sworn not to disclose details about the transactions in order to preclude future generations from venerating the participants. It was considered important that no individual might be exalted through their association with The Urantia Book. Because of its revelatory nature, the book must stand on its own merit.

As the contents of book were being transcribed, the papers were read to, and questions were requested from "The Forum," a group that had been meeting regularly for discussions at the doctor's house. The answers to these questions were then incorporated into the papers. These early readers formed the first core group of believers in the revelation and became committed to the mission of sharing the teachings of The Urantia Book with the world.


This is according to them...but I wonder...much as a wander through the world...I ponder words written and unwritten.

A skeptical view of the writing holds:
The UB Fellowship was founded in 1955 as the Urantia Brotherhood and is an association of people who say they have been inspired by the "transformative teachings" of the UB. According to the UBF, these "superhuman personalities" are from another world. They synthesized the work of more than 1,000 human authors in a variety of fields, including an "astronomical-cosmological organization of the universe" unknown to modern science and an elaborate extension (700 pages) on the life of Jesus. The UB also reveals that the "Universe is literally teeming with inhabited planets, evolving life, civilizations in various states of development, celestial spheres, and spirit personalities." In short, the UB is over 2,000 pages of "revelations" from superhuman beings which "correct" the errors and omissions of the Bible. "Urantia" is the name these alleged superhumans gave to our planet. According to these supermortal beings, Earth is the 606th planet in Satania which is in Norlatiadek which is in Nebadon which is in Orvonton which revolves around Havona, all of which revolves around the center of infinity where God dwells.

What got me to thinking about this book? Well I took a long walk tonight...and the stars were a comfort on a rather cool winters eve...and my thoughts went to the stars and my favorite place...space and time...interesting...and a long way from truth. I read this book cover to cover. And I remember discussing it with my sister...and I found one thing that I found most interesting...Adam and Eve...two primates without souls...were breathed into a soulful existence...and that is how we began...our journey...

Perhaps it happened that way...but the mystery of God, the universe and us, still compels us to ask questions...and that is what I did tonight. I looked into the sky and asked the quesion...and the only response I heard was the quiet breeze that brushed through the leaves remaining on the trees...a rustle of a sound...and then I knew...I remember because it is that time of year...Christmas...when all things become sacred...and all that is sacred becomes affirming.

So did I believe what was written on those pages? No...but I did read them...and now those words are part of many words, many thoughts laying deep in my wilderness...my wandering...and will remain there...until my soul is released...to find truth at last...or at least one can hope truth will be found at last.

It is warm in the apartment...and my fingers tap gently on the keyboard...another day gone by...in this holiest of seasons...quietly I am at peace...

From planet earth...or Urantia...or someplace in the universe...or at least one of them...

Oh...and one more thing...a Phd...looked at Urantia and Quantum...now that got my attention...maybe it will get yours too...http://www.humboldt.edu/~rwh2/TIMEandSPACE.html

No comments: