Monday, December 17, 2007

I love a good book store....and I have my favorite

I love libraries, museums and book stores. Not the real commercial type...Borders etc...I love a private, lovingly attended to...Book Store. The Book store I have fallen in love with, is Elliott Bay Book Company...This is no normal bookstore...it is a place of the love of books...of all books...and more.


Here is how they describe themselves...

The Elliott Bay Book Company, an independent, family-owned bookstore, was founded in 1973 by Walter Carr in the space which currently houses our children's section. In 1976, with the generous support of the Globe Building's owners and numerous friends of the store, we moved the store to the building in the corner and took residence on our current home at 101 South Main Street. That space comprised the store's first two rooms. In subsequent years we grew, room by room, to occupy the various nooks and crannies we do today. One of those expansions took us downstairs, and The Elliott Bay Café, Seattle's original bookstore cafe, was opened in 1979. This reader's haven, with its tasty foods, tempting desserts and beverages, and convivial setting, has served as one of the city's meeting places from the day it opened.


It is a joy...I tell you a joy...to walk around these rooms...just opening books to undiscovered places of mental landscapes...Someone wrote the words for me to read...to explore. They entertain...they teach...they inspire...they fill me with the desire to touch each page with solemnity...reverence for the author...a kinship of being. I love the written word. I wish I had the talent and the vision to ignite the thoughts that I have been so passionately attached to in my life.

But just as people find the natural environment full of grace and beauty, I find the same in the warmth of this bookstore.

So...if you find yourself in Seattle, and are looking for a way to spend the day...and you happen to love books...go to the Elliot Bay Book Co...and open yourself up to a wonderful experience full of the smell, touch, and experience...of loving books...

A little tune to go along...with fantasy...the Book of Love...



Some of it's transcendental...some of it's just really dumb...why yes indeed it is...but read to me...and my heart is yours...

Oh...and this is dedicated to a man who loves books...and shared his love of a few...he was not a friend...but he is forgiven...for a lover of books...cannot be all bad...
he wrote:

.. I picked up old copies (1922 and before) of several books last week including The Chessmen of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Kidnapped, and Last of the Mohicans the Burroughs book was the "newest" - printed in 1922. I have two (old) copies each of both Kidnapped and Last of the Mohicans. Actually - if I had the money (tentatively priced at $1,000) I would have bought a book by G.K. Chesterton inside of which was a letter by his wife, written to the person who had owned the book. I collect old books and manuscripts - the oldest being a sermon from 1686 followed by a collection of sermons & letter by Jonathan Swift (Gulliver's Travels) compiled by his nephew and printed in 1768. After that I have a number of books from the early 1800's like a bible from 1826 and number of classics from (e.g. printed in) the early to late 1800's like those mentioned above, and others by Dumas (The Three Musketeers), a couple by Jules Verne including one is Swedish from 1879 (I read enough to very crudely get the gist of the story but that is about it), Rudyard Kipling (The Light that Failed), George Eliot (Silas Marner), and then a of books from (printed) 1900-1925 by H.G. Wells, Edgar Allen Poe and others.

Oh...one more thing...it is a good place to purchase a Christmas gift for someone...trust me...books make good gifts. I have never met a book, I did not enjoy...even if it was "just really dumb".

The Lass...

No comments: