Tuesday, May 20, 2008

a sculptor...a student...and $300.00



I love art. Many people do. But my love began as a child. My mother took me to a museum...and it was over. I had to explore the world of art. It was in my blood.

So it was that many years ago when I was a much younger lass, that I took Art History at Wayne State University. The instructor was a young man named Sergio De Giusti. He was an accomplished artist, whose passion was evident from the first words he spoke..."Art is the awakening of the sleeping spirit." I understood those words. I understood the man, partly because I came to know his art.

Sergio is a sculptor...and his relief works stand in many places...Universities, Museums...Parks...and homes...like mine.

The story of my little piece of Sergio's work...goes like this.

I heard that Sergio's work was at a gallery in town. So, I went. Now...why a student with no money would go to a gallery is one thing...maybe just to look. But...this lass was always placing the love of things...before practical matters. So...on this day...she entered this little gallery...and spied a wax relief...Two wrapped figures...entwined in an eternal embrace. She fell in love with this rapture...and had to have it for her own. 19 years old...no money, and little hope of owning it. But this lass was determined...the work must be hers.

So she went to the instructor, and explained her plight and her desire. "I don't have the money for this relief...I saw how much your work goes for, and I simply can't afford it. " She continued, "I know you do your work in brass, but perhaps you could do me this great kindness, and make a plaster caste copy for me." The instructor inquired, "What is it about this piece you love so much?" "It is a catacomb, it is a bed of love, it is paassion, with religious overtones...it spoke to me." He smiled, "Then if my work is speaking to you...I guess I cannot go against its wishes."

So we made a bargain. $300.00...for the plaster work...and he would break the mold. I would have an original by this man...and it would be the first of many pieces of art I would purchase in my life...

Now, as time goes by...art becomes much more expensive....and so it is with Sergio...

Unions to celebrate unveiling of Hart Plaza landmark Downtown Detroit's six-story steel arch at Hart Plaza, part of the labor landmark called "Transcending,'' gets its formal dedication Aug. 20 in a ceremony scheduled to start at 10:30 a.m. and extend through the day. The $1.5 million monument, designed by local sculptors David Barr of Novi and Sergio DeGuisti of Livonia, was financed by contributions from unions and union members.

1.5 million...and I have my own little monument. Which is of course priceless...

And how did I pay for this? On a payment plan...working full time, going to school full time...and giving up a few things...like going to the movies. I was a young girl, with a dream...a vision...and now a piece of art...that would forever mark...my love of beauty...and passion.

Love,
The Lass

Just enjoying the view.

oh...and the 1.5 million dollar work?

















Mine is better!!!!!

No comments: