Thursday, January 10, 2008

Marty...and chess


When you have an uncle your age...well you have to explain things...or maybe not. But, my mother's baby brother was born within months of her eldest daughter...that would be me. So, it shouldn't be a surprise...that my relationship with Marty was more like a cousin...I think you get the point.

But, I was thinking of Marty and his life...and well it occurred to me that Marty did very well for himself. A family of educators...or at least three...and all made their mark. Marty is no exception.

Marty taught me my first game of chess...or should I say...he slaughtered me in chess... Marty was someone I just liked...I suppose it was because he put up with his niece...and he was kind enough to teach me this wonderful game...even though...I didn't learn much...or didn't have the opportunity to learn much...well I digress..

Nice to see he has done well...both professionally as well as personally. Oh...and my chess game...let's just say...Marty always won...and I guess that is why...I like the tradition of losing...makes me feel like home...

Dr. Marty Jacobs

Adolescent, Career and Special Education

Dr. Marty Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs has served in many leadership roles at Murray State University: Department Chair, Residential College Head, and Program Coordinator are significant examples of his administrator/leadership work over time.
Currently, Dr. Jacobs teaches undergraduate courses and graduate courses. At the undergraduate level, he is instructing students preparing to be secondary educators and in reading education courses (middle and secondary levels). At the graduate level, Dr. Jacobs is the instructor of several curriculum development courses.
So...Marty...I just wanted to let you know...I did finally win a game of chess...but you know it wasn't quite the thrill I thought it would be...I suppose losing does have something good in it...sort of ...like the Red Sox, always hoping...then they win...and ...now what do you do to follow that? Quit playing...well...that is me of course...

Love,
The Lass...

Oh...and the move Marty "taught" me ...fool's mate...gotta love him...
Fool's Mate.
Moves
-----
1. f3 e5
2. g4 Qh4++

Never got to use that one...maybe I should have "taught" my nieces...nope..they probably would not get fooled...oh well.

No comments: