Friday, January 25, 2008

It is the Southern Cross...


A tune...and a journey...one day this lass will visit the hemisphere...that will see her witness the Southern Cross...and on that occasion...She will certainly will make the journey...with sails...and a mate...to share the view...

Spirits are using me...what heaven brought you to me...



Just doing a little dreaming...and enjoying an afternoon of reading...and a little writing.

Oh...the lyrics...

Got out of town on a boat, going to Southern islands.
Sailing a reach before a following sea.
She was making for the trades on the outside, and the downhill run to Papeete.

Off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas,
we got eighty feet of the waterline, nicely making way.
In a noisy bar in Avalon, I tried to call you.
But on a midnight watch I realized why twice you ran away.

Think about how many times I have fallen. Spirits are using me, larger voices calling.
What heaven brought you and me cannot be forgotten.
I have been around the world, looking for that woman-girl who knows love can endure.
And you know it will, and you know it will.

When you see the Southern Cross for the first time,
you understand now why you came this way.
Cause the truth you might be running from is so small.
But it's as big as the promise, the promise of a coming day.
So I'm sailing for tomorrow, my dreams are a dying.
And my love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
I have my ship and all her flags are a flying.
She is all that I have left and music is her name.

Think about how many times I have fallen. Spirits are using me, larger voices calling.
What heaven brought you and me cannot be forgotten.
I have been around the world, looking for that woman-girl who knows love can endure.
And you know it will, and you know it will.

So we cheated and we lied and we tested
and we never failed to fail, it was the easiest thing to do.
You will survive being bested.
Somebody fine will come along, make me forget about loving you at the Southern Cross.

and one person's interpretation...

There is a love lost theme in there, but i dont think he gets the girl. i think the nautical theme is also quite literal for the songwriter, there is so much reference to it

the first verse describes the fact that the ship has 80ft of waterline, i cant figure out any relevance other than the literal. then the stuff making for the trades etc...he is describing sailing around Polynesia in the south pacific

i think he realizes that she's not coming back (during a midnight watch) and accepts all his got is his boat - the music. with all her flags flying, and 80ft of waterline, she would be quite a ship - maybe something enough to cling to in the face of a lost love

the woman will survive being bested - he wont find another better - until someone else comes along, who can make him forget about the southern cross, and her. but - he can never forget the southern cross, and sadly not her either

i could be way off here - but the boat thing is strong for me


Well...this is for MMM...our discussion tonight...What do you think the lyrics mean?
Hmmm???

haha

Like the Zen Master said..."We shall see."

Love,
The Lass

No comments: