Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Tao of Pooh...think not??? Ah...follow me...rabbit


Ah, yes, the teachings of Pooh, the great master and philosopher. This is the premise for the book "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff. In it, Pooh is characterized as a simple bear who provides "invaluable lessons on simplicity and natural living". Basically, Pooh's simple-minded phrases can be pause for deeper thought when used in or out of context.

"I think, therefore I am." --- René Descartes
"Think, think, think." --- Winnie-the-Pooh

You scoff at this? How can you?

With such poetic wisdom as this...

Aha!" said Pooh. (Rum-tum-tiddle-um-tum.) "If I know anything about anything, that hole means Rabbit," he said, "and Rabbit means Company," he said, "and Company means Food and Listening-to-Me-Humming and such like. Rum-tum-tum-tiddle-um. So he bend down, put his head into the hole, and called out: "Is anybody at home?" There was a sudden scuffling noise from inside the hole, and then silence. "What I said was, 'Is anybody at home?'" called out Pooh very loudly. "No!" said a voice; and then added, "You needn't shout so loud. I heard you quite well the first time." "Bother!" said Pooh. "Isn't there anybody here at all?" "Nobody." Winnie-the-Pooh took his head out of the hole, and thought for a little, and he thought to himself, "There must be somebody there, because somebody must have said 'Nobody'".


Could a stuffed bear really come up with these gems?

If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

“Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.”

A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.


“"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit.
"No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”


Those who are clever, who have a Brain, never understand anything.

And who can argue with this wisdom?

You can't help respecting anybody who can spell TUESDAY, even if he doesn't spell it right; but spelling isn't everything. There are days when spelling Tuesday simply doesn't count.”

Yes indeed the Tao of Pooh...and quite honestly Descarte was so full of himself...and little Pooh...well he never really saw himself as that much to think about. Thinking about oneself can sometimes lead to things you would rather not think about. Or something like that.

I do believe I am...and I am certain I think...I am just not so certain that it adds up to a hill of beans. Diana Miller whoever she is...

Love,
The Lass

No comments: