Thursday, December 18, 2008

the beginnings of a story...and then we read on

All stories begin with a sentance...and that one phrase, leads us on. We are hooked in a few words. But some beginnings, are remembered and become part of our lexicon...like these...

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times; it ws the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness; it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity; it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness; it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair; we had everything before us, we had nothing before us; we were all going directly to Heaven, we were all going the other way." - Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens


It is a curious thing that at my age, fifty-five last birthday, I should find myself taking up a pen to try and write a history. King Solomon's Mines - H.R. Haggard

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

I had the story, bit by bit, from various people, and, as generally happens in such cases, each time it was a different story. Ethan Frome - Edith Wharton


Call me Ishmael. Moby-Dick-Herman Melville

and so it is with all beginnings. We remember a word or may a look...or maybe just a sound. But we move on...read on, and that begins the story.

I think of beginnings, and then I wonder...how many beginnings have I encountered, and wondered...where will this story take me...and what will be its end.

One of my favorite movie openings...I had a farm in Africa...such a few words, and I felt every one.

We are coming close to the holy day. The holiest of holy days.

Merry Christmas,
The Lass

No comments: